Monday, August 25, 2008

Hitting rock bottom

As I mentioned earlier this month, I've been under a great deal of pressure on almost every front in my life.
By mid-month, I was ready to throw in the towel. I was done. Flat out done.
But, God sends angels to you and if you're paying attention, the people in your life are there not only for companionship, but to offer you something you need.
Last week, in constant pain, I went to a new acupuncturist. I was filled with dread. I was braced for the lecture on the benefits on vegan lifestyle -- something I think is ridiculous. I was prepared to hear how American farmers are polluting the universe. Then, I expected the sales pitch on $500 worth of supplements that will make my life all better. When he called to confirm the appointment, I told him I didn't want to hear those things. I was there because I hurt and expected him to fix it. That's it. Nothing more. He agreed that he wouldn't lecture me etc.
I arrived to find a cross between Lyle Lovett and Chris Isack. A tall barefoot guy wearing a western style shirt made out of Hawaiian print fabric. In his spare time, he makes the shirts and he has a big ol fury cat named Godfrey. Oh and he's a Shakespearean actor named, Bard. He has the Ramones collection in his cd stack.This is someone I can totally hang with.
To make a long story short he said the pain in my knee probably started somewhere else -- like maybe I was carrying too much spiritual weight. My thyroid problem might have something to do with the fact I wasn't speaking my truth to those who need to hear it. "You know what you need to do," he said.
Those words echoed in my head all weekend long.
"You know what you need to do." --
I do and did. So I started standing up for myself more around here and felt an usual sense of strength. Then I did what I really needed to do. I prayed. I prayed to God and the Universe and to anyone else that would listen.
When I pray I often write -- as it's easier for me to think at that level. Following is an excerpt of what I wrote/prayed.
Aug. 23,2008
This is my prayer today :
Dear Lord – I surrender. I give in – You can have it all – I can no longer live with this weight upon me – I can no longer carry the responsibilities of so much upon my shoulders my heart my knees…
My voice has been cut off by my own devise and it must it simply must come back to me – If not I will continue to die each day – die a little as my soul continues to darken.
I give to you the anger and resentment that hardens my arteries and weakens my knees….
My light is gone…
But I can get it back..
These are my truths –
I know that I was put here on this earth to do something special – to make a difference to someone – I don’t know yet what that thing is, but I know that I have a divine destiny.
I know that I am capable of a lot of things…that I can do many things, that I can stand out and that while it’s overwhelming to me and intimidating to others – it is who I am – but I must use these gifts with grace and good judgment.
I know that there is a little bit more work to be done – before my dreams come true. I know that I must get my proverbial act together… I know that I must get organized… allow my true self to do the work necessary without getting overwhelmed -- that there is indeed a higher purpose… that if I just allow my true instincts to be my guide that if I don’t get caught up in pity
I know that I have a gift of vision beyond my eyes – that I must not be afraid….. to listen to what I see there
I know that I am a good mother but I can’t allow my fear to interfere with my instincts… I have to set reasonable boundaries…. I cannot blow up anymore – I am in control… the power is mine…. I know that I am beautiful – stunning even… that the only person who doesn’t see it is me.
I know that I have a gift with words and that I can change the world – but I have to write the truth….
I know that I must do the things I love – I must create art. Photography cards, anything – but it must come first.
I know that I am a good enough just the way I am and that I never wrote another word or lost another pound I would still be fabulous.
Really fabulous.
So today when I feel so very tired, I should let myself rest without guilt. Everything else will fall into place. Honor my body, honor my instincts. I am in control. I have the power and this is my time to enjoy all that it means.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Powerful words. An unignorable prayer. Good for you.