Monday, December 11, 2006

Art Therapy #1


I'm trying something different. Something a little voice inside my head has been trying to get me to do for years. I'm playing with water colors -- pencils to be exact and I love it.

In the fabulous book "Eating by the Light of the Moon" by Anita Johnston, ( http://www.DrAnitaJohnston.com ) the author gives a metaphor that I can’t get out of my head – I’ll paraphrase it for you:

I’m on the banks of a swollen river when the bank gives way – I’m tossed by the waves and being pulled by a force I cannot control. I’m drowning. A huge log comes by and I grab on – I hold on to save myself
Finally, exhausted, I float into an area where the water is calm. I could easily swim to shore, but I would have to let go of the log. I can’t. I’m afraid.
(from the book)“How ironic. The very thing that saved your life is now getting in the way of your getting where you want to go. There are people on the shore who see yhou struggle and yell, “let go of the log!’ But you are unable to do so because you have no confidence in your ability to make it to shore …”

With that in mind, this is what I drew in my new water color book with my cool new toys!

No comments: